Solids - to feed or not to feed

wooooh... where to start? Trust me I spent too much time researching this issue. I was not satisfied with what's generally accepted - starting to introduce baby cereal at the age of 4-6 months. The reason is because baby's gut only seals around 6 month and the stomach is not ready yet to digest grains until the age of one.

 An unfortunate practice in industrial societies is the feeding of cereal grains to infants. Babies produce only small amounts of amylase, needed for the digestion of grains, and are not fully equipped to handle cereals, especially wheat, before the age of one year. (Some experts prohibit all grains before the age of two.) Baby's small intestine mostly produces one enzyme for carbohydrates—lactase, for the digestion of lactose. (Raw milk also contains lactase.) Many doctors have warned that feeding cereal grains too early can lead to grain allergies later on. Baby's earliest solid foods should be animal foods as his digestive system, although immature, is better equipped to supply enzymes for digestion of fats and proteins rather than carbohydrates.Source









One of the biggest realisations for me was that it is very important to lay a good foundation for our girl's well being from the start. The logic dictates that the stronger her immune system - the more resistant she will be to sickness and less medication will be needed in future. I discovered that general well being depends on healthy gut flora of the baby. Antibiotics, medicine, wrong diet harms it significantly putting the immune system at risk.
Source.   To begin with, I  looked critically at my diet to make sure the milk she gets from me is full of right nutrition. Oh man, did I need to make some changes.. It was my  understanding, that healthy diet was eating tons of veggies and fruit, have everything skim and fat free and no meat. WRONG. Long story short I started to eat liver (for iron), take cod liver oil (Vitamin D and A) , eggs, fish once a week, steak (my husband couldn't be happier), use coconut oil for cooking, everything full fat, take probiotics and drink bone broth. I have to tell you I felt a huge change almost straight away - more energy, I honestly never felt so good in my life.
What about my girl? - After she turned 6 months old I started to give her bone broth every day from a shot glass, baby probiotis, soft boiled egg yoke. I also apply fermented cod liver oil on her bottom every night. Once in a while I offer her some banana. Now she is 7 moths old. As babies are generally low on iron at this stage I am going to start offering her liver mixed with some coconut oil,  mashed avocado with egg yoke and stewed prunes. Around 10 months of age I plan to introduce her to more solid food using baby led weaning method.
Anyway, me and my husband feel good about our decision. I don't offer you to follow what we did, but we do suggest to research and do not make decision concerning your child's health and diet without serious consideration.
It is always interesting to hear what you think about it! Feel free to leave a comment.

Here is a brilliant article on baby food

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did I miss? Share your thoughts below!

top navigation

Instagram